Friday, January 27, 2012

Birthday Fun & Yummies for My Hubby

Today is my hubby's birthday!  One of the reasons I love my husband so much is for his sense of humor.  We have so much fun giggling together.  Here's a video clip that never fails to make us giggle.  I hope it gives you a giggle too.  Happy Birthday, Kev!  I Love you more each year! (I had the actual clip here, but it made my blog run too slowly, so just click on the link below to see it instead.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V8tMK68M7U&feature=related

This morning I surprised him with breakfast cookies, actually he saw them last night, but they were for this morning.  Yes, cookies for breakfast!  My hubby and I love these, but I don't make them often enough!  The best part is, they are good for you!  It's like eating oatmeal, peanuts, an apple and a carrot all in a cookie.   My sister actually wrote this recipe.   Amongst many other things, she writes recipes for Nourish MD, a website focusing on eating REAL.  Visit my sister Jackie on Facebook at Prep Like a Chef for any questions on this recipe or anything food-related.  I don't know anything about cooking, so she's my "go to" gal when I need food-related answers, like "how do I turn on the stove?".  Just kidding, I'm not that bad.

Grab a couple of these yummies and eat them on the go for breakfast or as a snack. Throw a smoothie with them and you are good to go. You can even crumble them up to add to a trail mix or put on top of yogurt. ENJOY!


Happy Friday!
Kim

 

Breakfast Cookies  (2-3 dozen depending on size of  cookies)                           
1 cup butter
1 cup peanut butter
*1 cup sugar
2 eggs beaten
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour or ground oatmeal
1 teaspoon aluminum free baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
pinch of Celtic sea salt
1 3/4 cups whole oats
**1 granny smith apple finely grated with the skin on &the juices (or any apple you have)
**1 carrot finely grated
1 cup raisins, here's where I substitute chocolate chips - I don't like raisins
1/4 cup grated or flake coconut, your preference - I like a finer texture.

 * To make it less processed, use sucanat a non-refined cane sugar or palm sugar, a low glycemic index - available at Whole Foods.  You can also adjust the sugar amount to your liking.

** I complained to my sister about grating the apple and carrot and she suggested just throwing them in the blender (after you core the apple of course).  My blender stinks, so I got a work out in my arms and grated them by hand.


Directions                                                                                           
  • Preheat oven to 350 and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
  • Mix butter, peanut butter and sugar together.
  • Blend in eggs.
  • In separate bowl, combine whole wheat flour (or ground oatmeal), baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.  Gradually add to peanut butter mixture.
  • Stir in oatmeal, apple, carrot raisins and/or chocolate chips and coconut.
  • Place tablespoons of cookie dough onto baking sheet.
  • Bake for 9-11 minutes until edges just become brown.  Cool completely.

Allergen Info                                                                               
  • Can be casein-free with a coconut oil or ghee in place of butter.
  • Can be gluten-free with gluten-free oats.
  • Can be peanut and tree-nut free with sunflower seed butter.  FYI: sunflower seed butter turns slightly green, but still tastes great!
  • Vegetarian

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by for a slice of Plumberry Pie today! Your comments make my day, so comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...